Tuesday, August 11, 2009

School With a Pants-full of Sauce

Today was my first day at Normaalikoulu.
I woke up at 6:30 a.m. to take a shower, get dressed, eat, and brush my teeth. When it was finally time, my mom wanted to walk with me. So, of course, I let her come so that she wouldn't feel so bad. You know... :)
We got to the school, said our goodbyes as inconspicuously as possible, and I met my friends, Suvi-Sofia and Pihla. We went to the gym, and were divided into classes. All three of us ended up in different classes.
When I walked into my new homeroom class, I took a seat in the second row, next to a girl who looked friendly. My teacher seems really nice. She talked for about 40 minutes, then we went to a different gym to get our pictures taken. Yay.
After that, the teacher talked for another two hours, at least, I think it was two hours.
Finally, we were allowed to go get some lunch. Just outside of the door to the cafeteria, I saw Pihla. So we waited for Suvi-Sofia, then we all went to lunch.
Now, school lunches in Finland are different than school lunches in America. First of all, they are free, and the cooks actually make them, not reheat.
Today lunch consisted of potatoes and a meat sauce. We found a place to seat, and we began to eat. Before I could get the first bite into my mouth, it fell into my lap, staining my kaki pants. Way to go me.
And so went my first day at the lukio (like a high school).

No comments:

Post a Comment