Monday, June 22, 2009

Loss or Gain?

I know the feeling of loss. Ever since I was in elementary school, I have steadily lost friends each year, whether it was because they moved away or because we found we were no longer interested in the same things. It was the hardest when we changed schools.
But even then, I made friends. First I found someone who despised the same things that I did--Science and Social Studies. =) (Science hasn't exactly gotten better, has it Em?) Then, I met all of the friends--yes, you guys, Abs, Meelim, and Anne-- and it helped that I knew Alane already.
Transition was easier to High School. I wasn't losing anybody.
Even now, I don't feel I've lost anybody.
I know that I can't see you guys, but I want you to know how much you all have affected me and my life. I can now do things, face challenges that I probably wouldn't have been able to do without the help from friends.
As the song in Lion King sings, ¨the circle of life,¨ as it is. Life goes on--high school will be different when I come back, and I'm a bit scared, but it will all be all right-- we continue to lose people, but we never quite forget them. They always leave a part of themselves with us. From each of you I've found a strength (that will hopefully stay with me for a while). I've learned patience, though I still continue to perfect it. I've also found that in this world of preps, and nerds, geeks, and loners, that nobody's opinion matters more than your own. So, I hope that as you continue your journey of life, you don't worry about what others think, and start doing what you love.
And I love you guys, so I will continue filling you in on what you are missing.. =)

2 comments:

  1. Matlida I love you Bunches. I love reading things about how my friends like/love me and why. It touches my heart. I love you we all do.

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. same here. I guess it just makes us feel better hearing about ourselves... =)
    Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete