Monday, April 9, 2012

Masquerade



Today I was looking through pictures of a photo shoot I did for a family, and there was one picture of Merinda where the lighting was just stunning, but she had a silly expression.
I really wanted her to put it on facebook, but she wouldn't--she said she didn't put silly pictures of herself online.
My mom asked her how she could be silly at home, but not with her friends.
Merinda said she acted differently at school than she did at home.
Mom thought this was silly...



But, don't we all wear types of masks throughout our lives?
We hide our fears from those we don't know,
we suppress the urge to brag in front of those who might feel offended (or, we should),
we put up a front so that we can't get hurt.



I found a poem online that I think captures this feeling perfectly. It's by Zoe Howarth.

Behind My Mask
They think they know me all so well,
But behind this mask I secretly dwell.
I hide my thoughts, my feelings too,
I hide so well from all of you.

I smile away the tears that fall,
I show no sign of weakness at all
I hide behind an empty screen,
I'm different inside, not what I seem.

My hurt and tears get locked away,
And forever behind this mask they'll stay.
No matter how hard they try to escape,
I'll hide away all my mistakes.

I hide me well, every day,
Forever in disguise I'll stay.
I'll smile away the tears that fall,
I'll show no sign of weakness at all.



Are we always hiding? Too afraid to show people who we really are? I certainly hope not. As we grow older, and are more comfortable with ourselves, then we will be more comfortable showing our true selves to others, and we won't have to wear masks with different people. Because, like my mom says, "that's silly."




Today's post was more solemn and meditative...I'll be sure to make my next one lighter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment